View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
eyrie

Australia
Re: Does having formal Sensei - Sempei - Kohei relationships attract more students?

Seems like a rather odd question to ask... but I would've thought that student attraction and retention rates have more to do with product positioning, demographics, marketing and other such variables, rather than culturally specific overtones (or undertones).

Unless what you're selling is precisely that, a product with culturally focused packaging...??? In any case, bottom line question is what are you selling and are people buying it?

There are any number of reasons why students buy into a specific martial art/paradigm. These are also many reasons why any number of them drop out, notwithstanding the level of formality (or lack thereof) within the class setting.

I'm guessing the only way to find out why people are dropping out is to ask them? Presumably, when they first signed up, you would have captured their contact details?

Otherwise, it seems to me that you're attempting to formulate some sort of internally-focused marketing hypothesis without the benefit of external input. How would you even test the validity of that hypothesis, let alone determine if there is any significant correlation between the level of formality and attraction and retention rates?

Ignatius