View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Outer Seams and Ikkyo Curve (OK) but Inner Seams???

When the COG travels out of the base (stance) and the structure (skeleton) is unstable, all you need to do is drop some weight on that spot.

Once I employed this model for a couple of years, (follow the bouncing ball), I quickly moved beyond technique. Biped tipping became rather easy. The Ikkyo curve and Seams (full rim of the base stance)
Was a good model for sensing where and when to drop the weight.

Then I got softer, like a massuer tricking his subject into letting him penetrate deeper into their body. Less force produced more effect - even against resistance.

Kuzushi became pivoting (floating) uke at the base of his feet - bypassing his strength. And if he reacted, it was easy to find the next hole in the posture. Again, less was more. I learned to apply subtle force and if it met resistance, I redirected it where the next hole was.

Then, kuzushi wend beyond the floor and feet. I started creating 3 dimensional throws at will from many points in space - all with the exterior seam and ikkyo curve.

Finally, I began sensing how to implode the posture into weak spots inside the stance. This takes much more sensitivity and redirection when resistance is encountered. And resistance happens even when uke is trying to be neutral.

Now, I hope to discover how many places I can lead the resistive momentum uke feeds me. If small circle throwing like Ropokai uses "an inch" of touch along with the outer seam, the inner seam stuff needs at least half that from my experience so far, "less is more". And remaining disciplined only happens if you can trust that less is more.