View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #392
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Actually, as I've said before, many threads weave on and off of a topic, Marc, and it's always surprising (as long as things stay on a reasonably civil level) how if you're patient enough, a few valuable nuggets come out of many threads that deviate off track.

Of course, nothing can come if no one really has anything to say about the topic and is really only interested in personal observations or oblique swipes.

There are a lot of people who are on record (archived) that they understand this topic as related to "Aiki" and it's worthwhile getting people to add their expertise to the discussion. The comment I made to Greg Steckel is one I've made before... if someone really understands the topic (in this case "Aiki"), they should be able to add to the definition in a way that at a minimum can use western science's perspective about how things work. Heck, even Tohei was able to describe being "unliftable" by saying "sink your middle". That's a lot better than someone saying "extend your ki".

My point is that everyone who's in the conversation should be able to contribute something of substance. What, for instance, is your take on approaching a consensus definition of "Aiki", using what you've learned from Ushiro Sensei and Dan?

Regards.

Mike Sigman
Mike:

I agree that valuable nuggets are obtained from these threads. That is why I supported Erick in asking you and Dan to refrain from personal attacks that result in Jun shutting threads down!

I am finding that I do not know what I do not know until I experience some of this stuff! Aiki, in my VERY LIMITED understanding from all of the people with whom I have and had trained with (not just Dan and Ushiro Sensei), can best be described as allowing the force of the attacker to pass through me, and/or allowing me to neutralize the force of the attacker, and/or allowing me to simultaneously use the attacker's energy as a direction into attacking the attacker. All of this happens while I am still capable of moving freely. I am discovering that in the beginning of this learning process, shisei, proper breathing, and not engaging in intentional muscle contraction is critical in experiencing these possibilities. I am working on expanding my knowledge and experience base so as to hopefully develop a deeper understanding that I can talk about. Right now, I have a lot of ideas that I am trying to flesh out.

Regards,

Marc Abrams

Last edited by Marc Abrams : 04-23-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: addition