View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Training With Others

Quote:
Darrell Elliott wrote: View Post
I have been thinking about something and wanted to get some others opinions.

Here is the scenario. You are training with another person. They don't really understand the technique you're working on, but you understand the technique. Sensei is busy working with others. Do you help them politely with the technique or wait for Sensei to help.

Since I am no aikido expert, I personally would wait for Sensei to come over and work with us, but that is just my opinion. Any thoughts?
As has already been said, it depends a lot on the culture/etiquette of the dojo in question. But if you ask me for my preference, I don't offer much help unless asked for. But if asked for, yes of course.

If the other person is a beginner who knows xe hasn't understood, I'd offer help even if xe doesn't ask. Otherwise, probably not. Or I would do it in a less obvious fashion. I could slow my techniques down, and do them in a way to show specific points. Either the other person gets it, or not. If xe thinks I've understood the technique, xe will be checking what I'm doing. If xe's not interested, my talking will probably not yield much good anyhow.

I have been training with advanced people who used their turn of doing their technique to point out specific points in the technique. One after the other, so I could try it, then when I got it the next point, then yet another one. A truly brilliant way of teaching the person you're training with! Much less intrusive than if the guy would have taught me while I was trying to do the technique. I'll try to remember to use it myself, but I can't say that I have. It should be possible to use it both with talking, and without.