View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #15
leonagastya
Dojo: Bulungan Aikido Dojo
Indonesia
Re: Letting Go of the Ego

Very interesting post

As a beginner in Aikido I also have this type of mentality as I care very much on how people perceive the way I act in the dojo and my own performance in it. Because of this, previously I was not confident with my skills in the dojo and when the tests came up for me to advance to the next kyu, I was hesitant as I didn't think I was ready yet. But there are also times where I feel overconfident in the dojo as someimes I would do a technique too fast and not follow the instructions of my teachers. Luckily over the months of doing Aikido I've tried to focus on my mental development along with my physical development. What I've learnt is that when it comes to having a low self-esteem, I find it best to just clear the mind and believe in your own personal abilities. Don't get caught up with how people perceive you as they are not in your shoes, experiencing what you're doing. Instead focus on your inner development and compete against yourself and your standards rather than on others. Remember, the quality of your Aikido depends on how you view yourself so just be confident when doing it while being humble at the same time.