View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Karl Arant wrote: View Post
For starters, referencing an old timey "strong man" (whatever that is) is utterly irrelevant to Ueshiba's personal abilities. David Blane, Harry Houdini and religious ascetics have been subjecting their bodies to feats of strengths and endurance for years, but it doesn't mean they're superhuman, invincible, magical, etc...
Nice straw man...or did I miss the part where Joe said O Sensei was superhuman, invincible, magical, etc.? He was inferring (a logically valid approach to supporting a point of view) through the use of similar examples of older folks using strength many younger folks never develop in the first place.
In my experience, Joe is not prone to the "magic" explanation for things.

Quote:
Oh did I mention I could leap buildings in a single bound too. LOL!!! What, you don't believe me? But I said it, so it must be true, right?
Through the power of inference I deduce this to be extremely unlikely.

Quote:
While Ueshiba may have been strong for his size and age (relative to a very small and physically weak population in general) he was still by no means objectively strong. Watch professional power lifters, world's strongest man, sprinters, etc... those guys are strong! Oh and "brick outhouses" can easily be toppled, particularly ones that are only 5 feet tall and weigh 130lbs, but thanks for comparing O-sensei to a toilet.
Only professional power lifters, etc. can be "objectively" strong? Doesn't that depend somewhat on our criteria for what "strength" would be? I've heard about power lifters shaking from a session of internal training practice...of course this is hearsay, but through my powers of inference it struck me as a fairly reliable account. Still, I would agree I don't know this with certainty.

Quote:
I've seen all the pictures of Osensei in his "prime", nothing overly impressive.
Every single one? Sounds like a burden of proof suddenly popped up.
Take care,
Matthew

Last edited by mathewjgano : 12-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Gambarimashyo!