View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido 3D 2.0 and Donovan Waite

Quote:
Dave Sampson wrote: View Post
I practice Yoshinkan. I am an 8th Kyu now but when i was a white belt i went on youtube to start learning on my own. I saw the "big" people in my dojo doing Kihon Dosa kata like synchronized swimmers and i wanted to start doing that myself since this is something i can on my own.

So i started watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqWF3Sdbxk

It was Yoshinkan after all so what can it harm? I was teaching myself the wrong technique watching that and trying to emulate the video. There were some small differences and the only reason i was not called out on my mistakes was that the Kihon Dosa in our dojo is only required at 5th kyu.

I did not want to pick up stuff from the video and learn it wrong. Not that what they, in the video, do is wrong, it is just wrong in the context of our dojo.

Hiriki no Yosai Ni is done in our dojo without pivoting on the balls of the feet in one spot but rather like turning around in 180 and then taking a step forward while extending the arm forward to re-inforce the square hips.

To a noob like myself these small differences were not immediately noticeable since in the beginning we are overwhelmed with information. But i was teaching myself wrong. I had good intentions though so that did not harm. What harmed me was having to relearn it the proper way. All good now though and i stay away from youtube. I film the "big" people in my dojo with my helmet camera instead when i dont get some
Dear Dave,
Rather than teach yourself, why not just let your teachers teach you?No disrespect meant here, but as an 8th kyu[which suggests to me you are a beginner]I would suggest teaching yourself is a bit advanced.You can sometimes unintentionally pick up bad habits which then have to be put right at a later date.Watching vids is interesting but you cannot always do the waza shown.
I would suggest if I may just practice .It all falls into place at a certain point.
Cheers, Joe.

Last edited by akiy : 03-27-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags