View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
cherif morsi
Dojo: shooting club/cairo
Egypt
Re: Training again

Hello Jenny

Can fully understand your frustrations.
I was in the same situation till 6 weeks ago when I had restarted Aikido after a couple of months of rest due to a type 3 shoulder AC joint separation by taking ukemi from guess what...koshinage. It took me till last week or so to overcome that bloody fear of taking ukemi and relax again but was fine. Just relax! It will come to you again just like that I think. Your body and your brain just need the right span of time to re-adjust again and that span of time I think differs from one person to the other. Train very safely again even if that implies not taking ukemi at all (and that is not being selfish as it is also the duty of other aikidokas in your dojo to respect your physical condition and recovery period IMHO) till you regain confidence again. The key here is self confidence.
Actually now I have a tennis elbow but I am still continuing to train but I learned to safely practice with injuries (still injuries that can be dealt with i.e. injuries that should not be aggravated by training!). You just adapt.
Just train and take it easy for a while till you regain your self confidence. Please let me know about the outcomes! Good luck Jenny!