View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
spinecracker

United_States
Re: Bruising - any help for it?

I've used arnica quite effectively on bruises in the past, so I'd be happy to recommend it. You may consider using an icepack on the affected area directly after training as this will diminish any inflammation that is occurring with the bruise, and, in my experience, decreases the size of the bruise and how long it lasts. You can use an icepack directly on skin (or with a paper towel inbetween - depends on personal comfort), and ice for 20 minutes or until the skin goes numb - whichever is soonest! (no frostbite, please). the mistake that people make with icing is that they take the icepack off when it gets uncomfortable,then reapply it - this has no real effect as the tissue underneath can have time to warm up again. When ice is applied to skin you should feel the following sensations - cold (obviously!), followed by an icy burning feeling, then aching, finishing with numbness (CBAN for short - only way I can remember it!).

all the advice given in this thread is pretty good (sounds like plenty of aikidoka out there know what it's like to be bruised, and how to fix it!), and I would add that you should make sure that you drink plenty of water, before and after training, if only because we as humans never seem to.

As you might tell, I'm having a day off (Reno has just had it's worst winter storm since 1911, so most people are staying home), and I've got nothing else (except post messages on aikiweb) to do until training tonight - woohoo! (nothing like cabin fever to make you want to go out in freezing blizzards so that you can wear white pyjamas and run round a dojo screaming - do you think they will allow me to train there anymore?)