View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #59
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Quote:
Thomas Donelson wrote: View Post
Thanks for expressing your non-specific negative feelings. Others have posted non-specific objections, similar to yours. If you have any specific suggestion, I would be interested.
I have a specific suggestion, and I wrote it before too - go and learn some Aikido. Come back in a couple of years after you gained an instructor level. At that point, I and many others here would be happy to assist you in ideas for helping youths to face violence.

Quote:
I have sufficient training to have applied wrist-locks for dance in conflict situations, in my life.
This is the main problem.Reading your posts - I and all others here have yet to understand your past experiance. Where did you learn, for how long, with whom?

Quote:
I have used Aikido for the release of anger from others, and for creating a dilogue on conflicts.
To use Aikido, you must learn it first. Otherwise you may do lots of things, but not Aikido. Where did you learn, for how long, with whom?

Quote:
If you and others need more practice to be able to confidently utilize wrist-locks for dance, then I would encourage those who lack confidence in their wrist-lock and foot-work skills, to gain further expertise; either at a dojo, or videos, or friends, or volunteering, whatever.
Me and others are not the subject of this discussion. We are not proposing a way to teach youngsters to defuse violence utilizing our knowledge, YOU ARE.

Thus, my own ability and the ability of other posters in this thread is not important. I can not see how my abilities after over 15 yrs of practice are relevant to a child who learns a few lessons. However, my and the others experiance in teaching Aikido, includign wrist lock and other techniques is important, and so is our understandings of the limitations of said techniques.

Quote:
I am not suggesting that all other forms of marial arts be discontinued. I am suggesting that those interested in young people might look at how wrist locks can be taught to youngsters, at earlier ages, as part of channeling Anger, and creating Dialogue.
Wrist locks can be applied in anger, and it is even possible to force some of them on someone as attaqck. Wrist lock and other locks can easily create long term damage! There is a reason for the way M.A. are taught, this way cultivates control.

Quote:
My interest in Wrist-Lock Dance is also Spiritual, in that harmony with other individuals is not taught by many branches of Aikdo or other Martial Arts. So my stubborness is based on a belief in the conflict resolution aspects of Aikdo, and the Anger Discharge aspects of Aikdo moves.

There is very little discussion in any of the posts of the spiritual basis of my ideas.
At least my own understanding of the M.A. world is, the spirtuality\philosophy comes from the limitation of languages in describing our real experiances. When I talk with friends on Aikido application in real situation, they claim I am philosophical while I only try to describe my own very phisical experiance.

You seemed to have good intentions at the beginning of this thread, but not as it progresses. If you refuse to listen and become agrresive in an internet Forum, where is your spirtuality ?

Quote:
Unintential injury of children is certainly a concern. How does that concern compare with the Reality of the World? Some 6000 of Earth's children die each day from contaminated drinking water. No Headlines, just facts.

http://www.worldvision.org/sponsor.n...MT C=advanced

Search: Deaths Clean Water

The teaching of the branch of Aikido which teaches respect for the Anger of others, rather than the punishment of and countering Anger, is my spiritual belief in answers to Peace.

Developed contries are too busy fighting Wars, and punishing wrong-doers, so there is no time, or effort, left over to take care of safe drinking water for Earth's children.
All true, but are you suggesting to increasethe danger to children near you? How is that a positive influence? Spirtually or otherwise?

Amir
P.S.
I agree with Janet Rosen. Though I am giving you this chance to change your way and look for some place to learn.