View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #86
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Basic elements of Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I apologize to the nameless nidan I may have privately slandered. Regardless, I actually have been a nidan and have trained with many from many schools so I'm pretty sure that any remark I made on general aikido nidan ability is at least coming from some personal experience.
Two comments. That nidan was from the Ki Society, if that will help jog your memory. I know Shodans that have been doing Aikido longer than you have, Rob, and one or two Ikkyu's. They're not interested in the ranks and simply don't bother with it. Are you better than they are? I don't think so. As I've noted before, the attention to "rank" as credentials in the martial arts is misleading. The first day I ever took karate I had to spar with a sandan in the free-sparring after class and I took him down repeatedly with judo throws after dodging his kicks and punches. I couldn't care less what someone's "rank" is... I'm interested in what they know, as shown by what they can do. Male or female, big or little, black or white, hot or cold... it's all about the results, not the role-playing.

FWIW

Mike