View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: "British Aikido - Full Circle" by Henry Ellis

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
I'd agree with almost all of those mentioned but would include Peter Brady, Gordon Jones and myself who all began in around 1968 (Gordon in '64 I think) and were pretty active during 70's, 80's etc.

Actually darren Mike didn't start unitil late 70's (or possibly early 80's) as a student of Keith Hayward.
Yes, I second Philip's mail.

I believe Michael took my place as IAF General Secretary for a time (when he was still 1st kyu), but this cannot have been before 1980. I remember Michael Holloway, 'the Greeks', Margaret Hughes, Bob Lincoln, at Chiba Sensei's dojo in Chiswick. This would have been in the very late 1960s or early 70s. Minoru Kanetsuka was 3rd dan.

I also remember Aidan Smyth at the Budokwai, and another, older, student whose name I cannot recall. He wore glasses and drove a car with a distinctive number plate. I think it was 9F.

I have good memories of training with Gordon Jones and Peter Brady (and a few others) in the West Midlands from 1975. Eric Beake and the other Eric (also a taxi-driver and known as Eric the Taxi-Driver), Dee, Philip, Stuart Broughton, John Ferris, and Hephzibah Davies Evans also come to mind from the Tenpukan Dojo in Earls Court, where I used to train with Birger Sorensen from Norway. Does anyone remember Pita Smith, a lady who was a good friend and supporter of Chiba Sensei when he first came to the UK?

Of course this is well after the very early days, involving Nakazono Mutsuru and Kobayashi Hirokazu, which I think Mr Ellis has in mind.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 02-24-2010 at 07:28 AM.

P A Goldsbury