View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #111
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
Re: Kokyu development for Aiki in Aikido

Thanks Mark and Joep for the ideas on grounding exercises. Just tried a bit with my wife (an advantage of having a spouse who also trains in aikido). Also did some kokyu-ho. Lots of room for improvement, but isn't there always.

Mark, had to smile with all your caveats about Claude (I presume to make sure I or others don't get upset). I'm not that easily upset. I didn't choose a clip of Claude (it's an exerpt from a weapons seminar and not a training vid per se) because of any link to the world of IT/IS discussed here. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard him use the terms ki or aiki when instructing. But back a few posts, we were discussing posture and bokken suburi. Claude, and other students of Kanai sensei such as my direct teachers here in Quebec City, are the source of just about all my weapons work. So this is what I strive for in my training. I find the differences mentioned from those of you in the IT world (even if your not experts by your own reconning) interesting. It gives me things to think about when analysing my own movements. Which brings me to a specific question. Why would you not move your shoulders with your hips on a sword cut of the type shown? What is the down side in your opinion?

Joep, Yamaguchi also has very nice posture. I think this may be a little too subtle for my eyes.

And for all those attempting to describe the dantien, your descriptions are hard to follow (a hard, articulated, muscle-like cavity? A muscle with a cavity?)

Jonathan Olson