View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: aikikai yudansha exam cost

Hello,

The Aikikai have a scale of fees. In my case, I calculate the fees payable and send the money in cash. For the overseas organizations that I look after, the Aikikai send an invoice, which states how much they have to pay. This is always given in Japanese yen.

So,

Aikikai membership costs 4200 yen.
The fee for processing the shodan examination is 5250 yen.
The fee for the yudansha passport is 1050 yen.
There is a miscellaneous fee of 1000 yen and a stamp is put at the back of the yudansha passport at each dan grading.

This comes to 11,500 yen and the exchange rate on my iMac Dashboard gives 150 US dollars and 45 cents.

In my dojo, students become members of the Aikikai as soon as they take their first kyu grade, even the little kids who start at 10th kyu. So the 4200 is added at this point. Accordingly, for the student who received his shodan, I paid 7300 yen.

The Aikikai had a system for returning half the fees to the dojo, but in my case, when we did this, the Aikikai returned half the money. So the above is what we send now.
EDIT: The dojo could keep this half for their own expenses.

A fee of 30,000 yen seems very excessive to me.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post
I'm planning on taking my shodan exam in january.. All this time people tell me that the exam costs 25,000 yen but recently someone told me that it has increased to 30,000 yen.. I need to know exactly how much it costs because I'm planning to pay for it without asking extra money from my parents so I need to plan my savings a.s.a.p..

can anyone give a confirmation on how much the Aikikai shodan exam costs? I searched with google but all I get is how long, not how much money it needs..

thanks before

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 09-22-2011 at 12:48 AM.

P A Goldsbury