View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #69
Michael Neal
Re: I think I'm done with Aikido

Michael, yes there is definately a time when you should focus on learning the technique and not worry about being countered, that is one part of training. But once you are able to perform the technique you should then try and work it into more fluid training.

During a typical Judo practice we do warmups, breakfall practice, kuzushi(off balanacing drills), skill development (like practicing a single technique), then randori for the remainder of the class. You try and work the technique into your randori but it often does not work so you just switch to another technique. Over a long period of time you will find out what techniques work for you and what does not, everyone has techniques that they are better at than others.

All of these stages are very important. In Aikido I found that randori was almost always not a part of the practice, this is bad in my view. Aslo I think breakfall practice should be a part of every single class as well, it actually can be used to substitute for regular warmups.

I am absolutely convinced without a single doubt that randori training is essential to developing practical skills in any martial art.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 05-05-2005 at 11:07 AM.