View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #54
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Shiro Omiya Shihan on "Aiki"

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Well, you claimed that Deguchi came up with the word, but it has a history before 1922 when Deguchi suggested it, and that has been documented.

Takeda and Deguchi disliked each other, can you really see someone as egotistical as Takeda taking direction? How about people like Sagawa, who pre-date Ueshiba in Daito-ryu but still used the term "Aiki"?

FWIW, there are quite a few martial references using the word "Aiki" made by Ueshiba post-war.

What's your point?

Best,

Chris
By "came up with the name", I didn't mean he invented the word "Aiki", I meant that he decided the word sounded good, and should be associated with the martial arts taught to Omoto Kyo followers. Here is a passage from and interview Stan Pranin held with Noriaki Inoue.

Quote:
Noriaki Inoue wrote:
Pranin: Would you talk about the name change from Daito-ryu aiki Jujutsu to Aiki Budo?

It was Onisaburo Deguchi Sensei who gave me the name "Aiki Budo". He said that "Daito-ryu Jujutsu" was not the right name for the art. He called Ueshiba Sensei and told him to stop calling it "Daito-ryu Jujutsu" and suggested that he should call it "aiki" instead. Ueshiba Sensei, in the beginning, was very hesitant to use the name "aiki" but later agreed. Later, I began to call the art "Aiki Budo". Until then it was called "Kobu Budo". Although Ueshiba Sensei said that "aiki is love", that is absurd. It is not that small. "A" is the voice of heaven. "liii" is ki. "Aaa" and "iki" are continuously in movement.
From this it sounds like Inoue Sensei was saying that Deguchi was the driving force behind Ueshiba calling his art "aiki" anything.