Thread: intimidation
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #58
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: intimidation

Wow. That's a pretty universal event I guess. The first is known to me and I can only hope extending ki the way koichi tohei advocates in his book actually prevents the glass making a larger hole in your mouth. Whenever in doubt I remind myself of the story of that aikidoka who drove his car down a cliff but kept his extension of ki and relaxed elbows eventually finding himself holding on to a crumpled steering but with nary an injury.

The 2nd, well the smart thing to do was to leave and find another place. Or even smarter, don't get drunk. Osensei admonishes drinking too much. And we can clearly see the result of drunkenness even in high level aikidoka such as Tohei who could have very well ended up paralyzed were it not for luck and Kiatsu.

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
I love this guy's posts
Indded, this is exactly what happens.
A competent attacker will give you no sign of his incoming attack. That's why, under a psychologial point of view, he's called competent.

There are two more techniques that are even worst, and you should be aware of them:
1) the predator has a verbal brawl with you. Then he feigns he wants to get over with it. He produces all the signs of sincere hearthfelt will to fix the situation and possibily label it as a misunderstanding.
At that point, to seal the reached "peace" he may offer a drink to you. They can be pretty clever and coldheaded and seem utterly sincere.
As soon as you sip it, or after the first few sips, he will hit you with a punch directed to the bottom of the glass and devastate your face.
I have seen this happening (twice, and do you know who was the second attacker? a lady...).
2) you have a very minor verbal exchange. You keep having fun with your friends, and that person you had that minor exchange with is nowehere to be seen or seems intent to his own business, maybe even having a good time with his friends somewhere else in the bar.
Yet, he has kept an eye on you all the time. Indeed, he is waiting for you to be intoxicated and alone. He did not deem it "minor"...
You will be followed, and attacked, in the parking lot... or in the restrooms...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.