View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Aikido Mind-Aikido Whisperer

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote:
It's not really the point of your post, but I've spoken to some respected dog trainers who would very strongly disagree with that statement . Even on TV he sometimes kicks or strongly shock-collars dogs, gets bitten frequently, etc, and nobody who works a lot with dogs seems to ever have seen a happy relaxed dog with him or one who seemed to like him -- they stand still with every muscle tensed and cross a room to avoid him if they are allowed to (not at all 'calm submissive', let alone eager to work with him, which is the norm with decent trainers). Not exactly doggy-aikido, although sometimes what he *says* makes sense, and even he occasionally does something sensible -- just don't try any of it at home -- it's primarily entertainment. TV is an industry.

The idea of "presence" is interesting, though, and something he apparently uses pretty powerfully (some would argue injudiciously, though -- even 'presence' can be used aggressively vs. assertively).

I believe the horse whisperer was an actual "whisperer," though.
I'm not sure if you have watched the show or not. He works with unbalanced dogs-somewhat like someone actually attacking you in some cases. Yes, in the beginning, he is going to get attacked bitten, etc. The "touches" I have seen him execute, and I have watched a lot of his shows, are always more in the category of taps, even when he uses his foot. Behaviorists would call these pattern interrups. As he points out they are corrections similar to what a pack leader would give. For some vicious dogs (dangerous/red zone) he does have to use the collar-a humane one from what I understand to establish his leadership position and thus gain control and settle down the dogs. I do not agree the dogs appear tense or afraid of him. The behaviors exhibited are ones seen in dogs relating to a pack leader. Tail between legs, ears back and submissive to the leaders position. They know their position in the power heirarchy. He makes the strong point that these are not humans and we need to stop using human psychology on them. Not everyone will agree with his methods. I do agree it's not the point of the thread. I was using it as a reference or starting point to generate discussion on mindsets/martial artist or aikidoka mind when in a real situation or during training.

The conflict situation has a lot of issues similar to what he is talking about: violation of rules, boundaries and limitations and a change in the mind energy. When people get into the mindset where they are going to violate these elements, you can see some definite patterns involved in escalation of the violence such as mind energy agitation. I'm sure this has uses in the case of spousal abuse, etc. Skinnerian behaviorists focus of the observable behavior and the change of that behavior through shaping, positive reinforcement, extinction, etc. It would seem to me that the mind leads the body in this case-i.e., the person's state of mind will manifest itself physically whether executing or defending against violence. I'm not a forensic psychologist but have studied Skinner some. I'm also interested in the mind training aspect. As pointed out, when one gets older, the mind may become more important as one's physical skills deteriorate. Recognition of one's own mind energy and that of the attacker might be useful in de-escalating the situation or attack and controlling it if de-escalation is not possible. Adrenalin can be a nemesis here. Recognizing patterns would allow someone at risk to blend with the person's energy and defuse it by shaping or redirecting, extinction by reinforcing incompatible behaviors (verbally or physically), or as the neurolinguist programmers use: matching physiology, matching or mirroring and then de-escalating.

I'm just throwing out concepts, talking outloud again.