View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #25
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Does Desiring Power Impair Aiki ?

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
Very Nietzsche.
Oh, I hope not -- the abyss stared him down ...

Quote:
And yes, there's a lot of fun to be had in skillfully crushing resistance. But if that is all that motivates you or if it prevents you from displaying sportsmanship, then well ... shame on you.
It isn't. But it could have. Easily. Sportsmanship, though -- what is that -- in budo terms?

Quote:
Could you explain how this works exactly? How aikido can help us to be more than this killer?
Because the only way I think one can learn to deal with one's violent side is to get to know it (under controlled circumstances).
We agree -- and my sense of O Sensei is that he would be nodding affirmatively. Having said that, there is a very different approach in the competitive (even sportsman-like) contest and O Sensei's non-competitive, nonresistant budo training in aiki. It is in my opinion a difference that goes right down to a fundamental difference of the affective hormonal systems dominating one's biology in the moment of conflict.

Where adrenal-modulated effort is paramount in competitive or threat scenarios, another hormone dominance is promoted by Aikido training. Oxytocin. "True Budo is Love." It is in ways more powerful, and longer-lasting, with positive feedback in its expression that allows supreme effort in terms of hours vice mintues under adrenal surge and it can control and modulate the adrenal pathways.
Desire matters deeply, but not the desire for power for its own sake -- the desire to protect -- which is motivated only by love. The Cross of Aiki -- which one may understand in terms equally Christian, Shinto or behavioral neuropsychology. A floating bridge, we might say.
Quote:
Don't you desire true power?
And at my most cynical, I'd argue that the only difference between desired power and true power is the eloquence of the person pursuing it.
Ah, the paradox -- which are really the only sort of topics worth discussing at any length ...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.