View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: maximum progression

How long is a piece of string?...

Any martial art has self defense applications. It gives you an edge. Nothing more. It's stacking the odds in your favour. Just as the guy who is attacking you will have stacked things in his favour. There is no such things as a 100% efficient method of self defense.

I'd point them to http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/ for a starter as he seems to know what he is on about -- put it that way, I have not faulted anything he says there. It's a good start.

Where it me, I would tell said person to not be in fights and avoid dangerous situations.
If they can not do that, then wear armour (stab proof clothing, bullet proof jackets, etc...) and hire a body guard! Oh and have nothing in your wallet that you can't spare. I'd rather my wallet was stolen than get a rusted blade in my guts any day.

If pressed as to where Aikido can help, I'd focus on the basics and the principles of tai-sabaki (avoidance) and kuzushi (breaking balance). I would have everyone train in randori and resistance as soon as possible but that's my Shodokan roots speaking...

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido