Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: My forum pet peeve: "I never got in a fight - the ultimate self-defense!"

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
The pacifist dies.

Anyway, even Gandhi was able to tell the difference between the political tool (pacifism/non violence) and self defense.
I'm a pacifist! lol! well I like to think of myself as one! I will always choose, and work hard to choose a non-violent way to resolve things. The key word is "my choice".

It is a fine line though. If the other guy chooses something other than that, that is his choice.

I am not afraid though to take an action that is appropriate to his choice. It could involve a physical choice on my part.

Does pacifism require that we take no action to defend ourselves? Or does it simply require "appropriate and measured response"?

Ghandi's strategy most certainly was one of absolute non-violence. However, I am not sure this is always the case and the sole deciding factor on pacifism.

You could argue that by facing violence directly that Ghandi invoked or prevoked a violent response that could have otherwise been avoided by avoidance. He still participated in the process, knowingly provoked, and influenced the situation for a desired political endstate.