View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido Yearage....

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
IMHO, street fighting is more a matter of attitude than specific technique or style. Therefore, it may be more a question of how (not how long) can you get your mind out of the fear based responses of flight or freeze and into a fight or flow response.
And this is consistent with my personal experience.

A long time ago, in another life...

...okay, it was when I was a kid living in Kaneohe, HI.

Fighting was just a part of my day then. "And today's fight features...". The fights I won were always ones where I started with the attitude that I could win. This continued even as my mother moved us around the country all the way into high school.

A couple of the neighborhoods I lived in were all about fighting. Weapons happened, though they weren't as common (I don't think) as they are today.

But if you are training to win fights, you might as well stop now. Every time I "won" a fight I'd then have to deal with three or four other fights with people who were friends of the person I'd beat. Usually, they were bigger, more skilled and more confident in their abilities than I was.

I described that experience to some teens I was teaching a few years ago. They said that in some cases today you are more likely to have to deal with a bullet in your head the next day. Okay, these kids came from rough neighborhoods (okay, bloody dangerous neighborhoods), but this is why I have a problem with the whole "I can win street fights" goal.

You don't ever win. They best you can hope for is to not need to fight anymore.

Self defense is not a street fight.