View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
But you can lose it in an instant and it can also degrade over time from ligament and tendon tightness- especially in the shoulders and in the pelvic girdle.
Hey Chris,

Well, I can't speak about the age factor exactly, since I'm not up there in years like some around here,
I realize you've got years of experience behind you, but would you consider that that maybe you're missing something in your training?

As far as I know, the tendon/ligament, and fascia shouldn't degrade too rapidly with age. If you have a proper solo training practice then it should be strengthening these facets with age (up to a point).

I've seen this in a fair number of guys with the goods across several different styles. Of course I won't know for myself for at least another 15 years or so...^^;

Anyways, getting back to the topic,
When you say small circle kuzushi/lower body momentum, do you care to elaborate a little more in terms of body mechanics? Just wondering if we're on the same page.

I definitely agree with you on the "more" is actually "less"

About your training ideas, we generally don't work out with swords.
Most of our weapons work is either based on spear or staff, and then translated over to free hands. That being said I'll give it a shot at some point. I used to do Kendo myself, but at this point it feels pretty ridiculous to train in that context...I strongly feel that the point of the exercises was largely lost ^^;

About any ideas to keep on the objective at hand...that's a toughie.
Its definitely the reason why you see so many different training methodologies out there...there's no one good answer.
It's really up to the individual though. I did find that once I "switched" over to this "rewired" way of movement, it would hold steady, even under pressure, and was generally the only thing that could save my ass when things went topsy turvy. (Full contact striking + grappling, no escrima, so you definitely have me one upped there )

Oh and finally,

I rewatched the vid,
I was definitely too harsh about the whole body connection thing. At least with regards to you. Your partner definitely made me judge way too quickly ^^;
Nice use of the dang/pelvic girdle/lower body structure, I see you keeping it intact no matter how you move. (Your partner on the other hand....let's just say that maybe you shouldn't tank for him ^^

Last edited by Upyu : 02-06-2008 at 11:49 PM.