Thread: Dojo Storming
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #49
Ulises Garcia

Mexico
Re: Dojo Storming

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Gozo Shioda tested his aikido, as did Ueshiba. We all want to see how well it works. I think dojo storming is cool - just that most of us don't have the balls to do it. It's not like you're going into a primary school and beating up kids - you are going into an arena surrounded by people who won't protect you, and challanging someone who is regarded as a good martial artist. I think, good on them.
I definitely second that. Let's forget about "storming". What if a sincere and polite challenge is made in your dojo, being strictly the martial skills and honor involved? No guns, no knives (hey, remove the cursing too). Because Aikido is THE Way of Harmony, taking a polite challenge is out of the question? I keep hearing stories about O-Sensei taking on different martial artists (and prevailing), but I'm yet to hear one that said that he didn't take the challenge. There was even a story I read here some time ago which stated that at one time, O-Sensei took on a challenger, and to the eyes of the challenger, Ueshiba had disappeared. O-Sensei was moving in complete sync with the challenger, so he became "invisible". It seems to me that Ueshiba did show the efficiency of Aikido to non-believers and succeeded. Perhaps he didn't go out issuing challenges, but he took them when offered (politely and honorably, I believe). Post-war, pre-war. What has changed in Aikido that somehow taking a sincere challenge is out of the question? When did Aikido stop being martial?

These are all honest questions. I'm ignorant, but I'm willing to stop being one if somebody sheds some light.

-U- (Looking for enlightment)

"He who dies with the most toys...still dies."