View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #14
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: Muden Juku Daito Ryu and internal training

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
I am still trying to get my head around what those actions in the video represent. The answers so far have been disappointing.
I tried answering the question back in post #3, but here's more detail:

First, it looks to me like both the standing and kneeling throws are showcasing the same underlying internal skill, despite the different setups (grabs) and finishing moves (throws). I could be wrong about that, it's hard to tell from a video.

Uke starts by applying a force on nage, be it grab to the belt or the collar. I'm pretty sure this is a "dumb" force, meaning a muscular (external) force that's applied in a consistent manner regardless of what nage does. In other words, uke makes no attempt to change or correct herself when nage begins his counter. When I've trained this way it was done for the benefit of nage alone, as it allows nage to practice his control/skill in a unhindered setup.

It looks to me like nage grounds uke's force and "reflects" it back at her in a way---I assume---that makes her feels as if she's being lifted up and pushed back. The "reflection" of force is an internal skill, and in this video nage does it with hardly any external movement. Because of that, it looks like uke is moving herself, but she's not really. She's being manipulated by nage. The "tensing up" and slow distortion of her posture is the "natural" reaction to the counter force nage is projecting.

I do think uke's response looks exaggerated, but it looks to me like there's some amount of legit skill there. I don't know anything about this organization, though, so who knows. (I also think Roppokai videos often look exaggerated, but by all accounts Okamoto has tons of skill.) For reference, here's a couple videos of Roy Goldberg distorting his uke's posture: tenchi nage & let's call it a "light touch" throw. Also here's Kodo himself doing a really slow off-balancing thing (obviously in an informal training environment).

--Timothy Kleinert