View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: A Christian perspective on Budo

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post

There is a lot a community, large or small, can do, for those nearby or far, whether it is monetary donations for medicine or a traveling clinic somewhere in the nation or the world, or support for a school somewhere, or individuals traveling to be of help to others. The other side of community is to welcome people who come through the doors of the building or who are met during daily activities around town or anywhere get to know them, or simply offer a referral to something of interest or need or just quietly look friendly so the other person feels he or she might be open to a conversation.

There are so many ways to be a good neighbor just to brighten one's day, even if the neighbor is not lying on the ground beaten and bleeding. It is essential to do what one can or call for help in such cases, but we shouldn't neglect the times when, if our soul at the moment is like the quiet lake, we can sense that the other person could use a kind word or a smile to brighten his or her day.
Precisely! Very well said.

I think it is so important that the Church is a pillar of the local community, while at the same time having a global perspective. The size of your congregation seems to bely the size of its heart. I congratulate what your church is doing in the community and around the world . I too am involved in a community project through my church and it is so great to be a part of what I call 'grass roots Christianity'.

Whether I have the opportunity and the fortune of using my martial arts to help the community, only time will tell; none of us know the future, but certainly I think the martial arts have a lot to give to the community and I will continue to train as long as I can with the hope of giving back one day.