Thread: World War 3?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #200
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: World War 3?

Amir,

thanks for your insider perspective on this crisis that we are all focussed on right now.

My hope is that both sides will cease hostilities before things become 'out of control'. The longer the destruction goes on, the longer it will take to gain any lasting settlement, if that is even possible.

I believe the document needed to be accepted by all parties for a ceasfire is being rewritten by the US & France so that all sides can make that first step.

I can't even begin to understand the complexity of the middle east, and the west usually learns to it's peril that when they try to impose their own version of how it should be done in this arena, they usually get bitten on the backside.

What are the solutions? Bombing the crap out of each other is not a viable long term option, is it?

Europe after WW2 was a battered and broken place, after so much hurt, there was only one sensible way forward, to link together in a co-dependant collection of free states. Something that has proven to be very successfull in terms of 'peace' for its citizens. The countries that supported facism then, are productive partners in the union now.

Is there any optimism that this type of solution would be possible for the middle east?

Are centuries old religious divisions insurmountable? Is the middle east doomed to endless years of war?

If I was religious I'd pray for all in this region, but as I'm not, all I can say is, I hope for your own sakes, you can work this out with the minimum of further bloodshed.

Peace

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.