View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #59
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: covering your openings

Talking about shiho-nage in terms of self-defence is not the most useful of conversations for most people - it took me years to get the hang of it and sometimes I still wonder. However, as tori is so low compared to uke in hanmi-handachi , shiho-nage is altogether possible. If you want to do shiho-nage on someone, maybe you should sit down first!

But what I really want to say is that no mattter what kind of shiho-nage you do (standing, half-standing, kneeling, bent arm, straight arm ...), it needs to be based on udekime-nage (mae-otoshi to Tomiki folks) to be truly effective. Do lots of udekime-nage and then try shiho-nage and make sure what you are doing carries over, i.e. you are not doing separate techniques but closely related ones. It is my strong belief that what you do in one technique should help in another, indeed, all the others.

Other than that, there are other uses of shiho-nage in Aikido training that are un-realted to the immediate self-defence application that everyone thinks of.

PS Videos are a good idea - I have lots but am not sure what to do with them. Many are rather large files.

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 05-22-2005 at 04:21 PM.