Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #125
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Golden Center Aikido for your pleasure

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Niall:

You have met several people who have had "hands on" with Dan. Have you met anybody who has had "hands on" with the original poster? Opinions of people you know should indicate something.

Uncle Darwin is handing out grades. The world history of conflicts is filled with the graves of many who could not adequately do and less so of those who could do. Those that could do passed on skill sets, knowledge, etc... Regardless of how big or small the "Aikido umbrella" is, there is still the underlying reality that cannot be escaped. Does it genuinely work? Is it budo? Dan and others are not talking about philosophy, but about the work product.

Toby Threadgill's teacher talked about practicing something wrong 1 million times does not make you any better. Training sincerely in the wrong direction usually never helps.

As far as soft goes, I would venture to say that Dan is far softer in what he does that most people you will meet in the martial arts world. The genuine effectiveness of what he does more than speaks for itself. That is why so many well-informed people in the martial arts world train with him.

Henry Ellis neatly described one of the many perceive "problems" with the original poster: You really do undermine the knowledge and experience that many posters on this forum have, to suggest that `` only you understand what is being done `` ..It is obvious to me what is being done - not much.

Pretty much sums it up in my book. Oh well, off to change for a day of working with Dan....

Marc Abrams
Interesting. So video of someone does equal you know then?

Mmmm. Saying you know as the doer undermines those who have never met you. Mmmmm.

Methinks there's a different definition of knowing being used. I'm quite happy knowing I can watch a video and know I don't actually know.

I can also say for instance your view I don't understand. Nothing wrong with saying you don't understand unless ego gets in the way.

Have fun.G.