View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Can somebody who's never thrown a person, claim they can - and do - throw people?

Quote:
Philip Zeplin-Frederiksen wrote: View Post
Isn't that the same for every martial art out there? Really, for any skill in ANYTHING out there?`
A boxer would be beat by another boxer who also knows judo. A Wing Chun practitioner would be beaten by another Wing Chun practitioner who also practised Hapkido. Big surprise, an Aikido practitioner would be beaten by another Aikido practitioner who also practised X.

It's pure logic that that goes for anything.
If two people have the same skill in something, but one of them has additional skill of relevance in something else, the one with two skills is more skillfull (that's a lot of "skill" in one sentence!).

Who's going to be the better accountant?
Person A: has 5 years experience in accounting
Person B: has 5 years of experience in accounting, and 3 years experience of economic law.

What you are asking/saying is the exact same scenario, and it goes for anything.
Which is why cross-training (when proficient enough) should always be encouraged!
Good point; excuse my laxness.

To correct myself: I believe that 99% of aikidoka would be unable to defend themselves against an opponent who had a relatively small amount of training in another art, or perhaps even someone who was untrained, and just punched at them, or wrestled them to the ground.