View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Can somebody who's never thrown a person, claim they can - and do - throw people?

So many stipulations! With those in mind, I can only say "I don't know". I've used aikido techniques, as trained on the mat, in two street situations against people who were not drunk and wanted to hurt me. I had no prior training. I simply wanted to be able to protect myself if needed. That's all I asked for from the art and the way we train(ed) provided me with enough to accomplish that when needed, no more, no less. Beyond that, all I can say is "I don't know", but I am ok with that.

You don't need "live" training to be able to use aikido, but you need hard training with consequences. You need people that won't dive when you breathe on them, low success rates on techniques, people who will make you work to be successful, an environment that will push you further and further (randori, etc) the longer you keep coming and testing that actually tests your limits, not just your techniques...oh and some ki, you need that too. YMMV.