View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Internal (Hunyuan) Strength from a Yi Chuan Perspective

Quote:
Ashe Higgs wrote: View Post
so does "establishing a ground path" if you don't have a background in the terminology being used.

it's just a technical reference point, a short hand that sums up qualities of different sections of the body and how we coordinate them together.
Actually, I have a lot of laughs about people who think "groundpath" is an obscure term (seen some people people say something about it for years). Yet most people with any real knowledge of CMA's have seen the references to "jin" (specialized/learned force path through the body) and, as a common example, Taiji very clearly talks about the jin that starts in the feet (from the ground) is controlled by the waist and is expressed in the fingers. Not to mention that I've seen a number of people from very different backgrounds but who had some jin skills (of varying degree) click instantly with "groundpath". But rather than go off any further into the diversion, let's go back to your yin-yang comment. You made it. I never said a word about groundpath, so you're attempting to shift the subject.

I just explained "groundpath" very quickly and tied it to physical function and to the classical literature. It's not a vague term at all.... it's actually pretty precise. Yin-yang is very vague. Perhaps, as I suggested to you before, if you actually formulated and articulated explanations rather than using vague terminology, it would help your own progress?

BTW.... the core principles in all of these arts are the same, regardless of some terminology differences. I.e., Sam Chin is doing nothing in ILC that Cheuk Fung is not doing in Yiquan, when it comes to the basic principles. Same with Taiji, Xingyi, Hun-gar, Wing Chun, etc. There are often the appearances of differences and certainly there are different utilizations of the core principles, but there is no valid argument that legitimate (correctly done) traditional Asian martial arts are somehow doing something that another knowledgeable Asian martial artist can't understand. That's a neophyte's argument.

Regards,

Mike Sigman