View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: 100% Cooperative Training

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Once again it may seem that Dan and Graham are at either end of the paradoxical stick! One says that 100% co-operative training is all wrong and the other says all training is 100% co-operative.

I think they both have it right, I'll leave it at that.

regards

Mark
Mark:

They certainly don't see eye to eye on many things.... I think that Demetrio added an important distinction, in terms of "aliveness."

Grahams original post simply made no sense to me and mixed up two very different things and then tried to treat them as the same thing. Cooperative practice is very different than people agreeing to abide by rules. You can agree to rules and practice within them with the very real possibility of people being hurt and injured, WHILE abiding by the rules. In an MMA contest, full-contact kumite, etc., people are anything but cooperative with one another while following the rules, while people frequently get injured, while no one committed a foul. How Graham connected that to 100% cooperative training, is a logic all onto itself.

We can talk about the various levels of aliveness and look at the benefits of training a various levels of aliveness and have a very interesting discussion. Linking 100% cooperative training to following rules of contests was going to go nowhere because of faulty logic.

Hope to see you in New York soon!

Marc Abrams