View Single Post
Old 07-11-2002, 10:52 PM   #13
isshinryu88
I've had a bit of experience in other martial arts- Isshinryu Karate, Shinkendo (sword art), Judo, and most recently, Kuk Sool Won (like Hapkido/Jujitsu).

I'd been doing the Kuk Sool for about 3 1/2 years. I began to come to the realization that in 5 years I would basically be where I am at now. I might know more techniques and be more proficient in some, but I didn't see myself on a path that would lead beyond just physical proficiency in the art. Although I am young enough now that I can get by on the purely physical, and probably for the next twenty years, there's always someone bigger/stronger/dumber etc. I wanted to progress into strategy, for lack of a better word.

As I researched Aikido, I began to notice a consistency of strategy and philosophy. Karate and Kuk Sool were both of the inflict maximum pain/damage. I think this fails on a number of levels. As I said before, always someone out there who isn't going to respond to the pain. Additionally, a swift front kick to the groin accomplishes two things- 1, you've sucessfully ended the attack in all probability and 2, you've sucessfully set yourself up for a lawsuit in all probability.

Overall, I'm looking forward to my journey in Aikido.