View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #98
DH
United_States
Re: "Aiki" in Russian Video Clips

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the extended response. Maybe there is something good from having Erick in a thread, people you actually want to read start typing more.
Really? It was -you-I replied to, Dan. Not Erick.
For this discussion Erick is a waste of time. Now he is reduced himself to debating the points of the debate.

Quote:
Then there's the question of relevance in the modern world. Most people are office workers and don't have time to dedicate years without some assurance of results.
I dunno, the people who train with me learn steadily. I don't have those problems. If you train here-you will improve. Most people are just going to get this, if you teach them and they train.
How long it takes and who has the ability to actually teach and or learn is a very worthy discussion. When I see a group, sacrificing and trusting I care more about them then the idiot at the front of the room. He is supposed to be serving them, not lording it over them. Sad to say, I keep ending up the idiot at the front of the room these days. But at least I am trying to serve those who come seeking..

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying, but I'm a little bit confused by your obvious enthusiasm for the method and getting the word out that it exists, yet I've never seen a description of Harden exercise #1, the most basic thing you would have people work on if they manage to meet up with you.
Ya. I don't talk much about things that really are meaningless to read on the net. I have people doing them in person who fail to get it right. Why go through loong explanations that guarantee to have them screw it up? Here’s an example,
When doing Shiko "Open your pelvis, put your intent from your left foot to your right hand. Cross-line body work is very important. Draw yourself over with your right hand, "pull yourself back upright with your left leg pulling your right side hand back up, while your left hand draws your right leg up and you right leg is pulling down. Maintain and hold these six contradicting lines in your body; up/ down, left / right, front/ back, and while you are doing that hold a connection from your feet to each opposite hand. If you can; try rising up in the back and sinking through the front, at the same time. Do it till your intent is so refined that "your will" pops you off your own feet when you go back upright. Oops I see your spine let your sort of slide over and your postural alignment broke!" Er...good luck with that.
At any one point- with people doing these things together with me- they are failing to maintain something or other all over the place. So why talk about it on the net when they can’t do it in person? Another point that I cannot stress enough is that when I work with people I work with them individually. Everyone has their own kinks or sticking points to work through. I had one guy who has trained in ICMA has trained with Ark and Mike, understood the exercises and was working his butt off. He made progress, but was falling apart at a certain point every time. Its only after working with him hands-on (yes I think Ark or Mike would have spotted it too) that I realized his problem was that-although he knew exactly what to do and could describe things better than I do-his connections were a mess due to the way he "broke" under stress in his upper center. He couldn't tell what was falling apart or how to fix it. So what point would outlining exercises on the net be?
I think a whole bunch of us have been led down merry little paths by people who don’t know what they're doing. Whether by design or by innocence we still have a bunch of people who didn't get the magic, they Asian arts were known for and we are ourselves kept hearing about. I want to make sure that at least in my small contribution, I put tools in their hands they can use. I talk "about it" on the net, not how to do it.

Quote:
I guess my question is, given your enthusiasm and the fact that you are clearly not a fan of teachers who don't teach the authentic methods, why doesn't at least a wiki similar to Akuzawa's exist so that people don't have to wait years for a chance opportunity to gain an insight into your method?For example I know that Akuzawa will be giving a seminar I can attend six months from now, I can work on his exercises even without technical feedback, and be that much better able to understand his corrections when I get the chance to train with him than if I walk in cold. Otherwise at best you'll succeed in creating a spike of demand without adequate supply. The more people that understand the rudiments, the more the Asian masters will be forced to reveal as they realize people have the playbook if not the experience. For example without your existing base it's rather unlikely you would have gotten an enthusiastic reception with Liu Cheng De, from which you could have gained more knowledge under more favorable conditions. If it becomes generally known which teachers don't really teach, this is a clear benefit to serious enthusiasts as well. Ultimately secrecy has no benefit at all considering that it's a long hard road no matter what. While I haven't seen anyone visit you, Mike, Ark, or Rob and not be positively things, I don't think anyone has gained overnight superpowers either. A secret that takes years of sweat and toil to master is perfectly safe in the open.
See above. I think Arks, mine or anyone else’s on-line descriptions are a waste of time.
That said, there are a couple of points I want to make in reply. First of all I don't think you will read of Mike, or Ark or me holding back "the secrets." Second I shudder at how that sounds. It implies we know everything to hold back!! I don't think anyone who trains this way is in expert yet either. How’s that?
I train very hard, and try to improve me, and if I can manage it I try to give back and share. Other than having some time to share with a community I am convinced by and large missed it and it training in the wrong direction most of the time, I have no vested interest in furthering a lineage, advertizing, or being someone’s “sensei.” I try to make sure I can show and then teach some clear, definitive ways for folks to start getting connected, and then to build on that, later to use those connections through applied skills. I enjoy what I do. If people continue to be fun to hang out with, I’ll continue sharing.

As for hiding, I'm not sure what "Asian masters are hiding" either. I think there are some who honestly don't know how to teach what they do outside of their forms. Others are just not showing, but a few of their students. I have seen it occur personally. It has been my experience that some teachers -flat out lie, others don't know any other way to teach. Then there are some teachers who. after I’ve watched them move, if they could articulate and tell me how they did what they do to make their body move like it does? I would remember it very carefully and avoid EVER doing it, so I didn't end up moving or looking like them.

Last regarding seminars, time and distance. I'm not a fan of training with someone once, then not seeing them for a year. I am -extremely- averse to being part of someone wasting even more of their precious time sweating their butts off somewhere, in the wrong direction. If I can't see someone more often -at least for the first year- then I don't even want to start. I turn down many seminar requests every week for just that reason. Everyone rightfully talks on and on about their needs and their wants to train. No one talks about what a bother it is to teach.
So to answer you question-no wiki, no big seminars for me. Just shugyo. Sweating it out in a barn. I am convinced that I suck, so I have a growing group of people who are letting me practice on them-the fools think I am teaching!!

Last edited by DH : 08-13-2008 at 08:27 AM.