View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Looking for technique videos

The unfortunate thing I tend to find with technique videos is that they are often quite stationary and pre-prepared - you could get just as much from these videos as from a book. In addition, your instructor may do the technique quite differently from the way shown in the video. I would therefore suggest two things i. buy gozo shiodas Aikido- The Master Course, which I think is the best aikido book around (not seen recent publications in the last 2 years or so - I've Lynn Seisers books on order).

Also, if you have DVD (rather than video). Buy Ueshiba - King of Aikido (vol II). As far as I remember it has all the techniques you mention, done by Ueshiba. The advantage being i. he tends to be a bit of an authority on aikido, ii. you really get to see the beauty of the body movement and the variety of the body movement, iii. rather than seeing a masters interpretation of a master, you get to see the master himself. iv. your instructor will have more difficulty arguing with a technique which is a copy of Ueshiba than a technique which is copied from another instructor. v. the subtle interaction between uke and nage is more evident in such videos than in staged technique videos.

Warning though - the quality is poor and you need a reasonable grasp of aikido to interpret what Ueshiba is doing (which is why we can maybe get more from video footage of aikido now than people could from originally training with him!).

I spend many a rainy afternoon examining Ueshiba with a loop set up on a single technique and slowing it down for indepth examination. You pick up all sorts of extra bits as well (for example, despite what Ueshiba would say about not kicking, I have seen him i. deliver a (pulled) kick following a technique, ii. deliver a knee to the sternum during suwari waza and iii. use a gentle kick/sweep to the shin to prevent someone stepping forward and thus enabling the execution of a throw (judo style)).

Last edited by ian : 08-14-2006 at 06:16 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---