View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #51
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Aikido too spiritual at times?

Has anyone else found this to be part of their common experience...

Of folks that claim the importance of spirituality, they seldom dedicate all aspects of themselves to their maturity. That is to say, they allow thus for this part of their life, but not that part - and thus definitely not the whole.

Of folks that claim the importance of the physical side of the art, they seldom train more then three to five hours per week - leaving much more time of their life off of the mat than on, making casual athletes appear more dedicated to their own sports than they to their Budo.

Last time someone pressed me upon the importance of the physical/martial side of the art, I learned he practiced per week what I did in half a day. Last time someone pressed me on the importance of the spiritual side of the art, he could not rid the control his fear had over him in the most basic, controlled, and slow motion of exercises. I hate to say it, but when it comes to the physical/martial side of the art, it's hard for me to take seriously those charges when they are made by anyone that trains less that three hours a day on the mat. When it comes to the spiritual side of the art, it's hard for me to take seriously anyone that is not in a harmonious state of wellness with his/her parents, spouse/lover, siblings, and children.

I'm not saying we do not gain from Aikido regardless of whatever level we are training at, nor am I saying one side is more important than the other. However, it seems to me, that before folks go blowing their trumpets AGAINST OTHERS, some down to earth qualifications are in order IN ORDER TO GAIN PERSPECTIVE ON WHAT IS BEING SAID AND/OR NOT SAID.

Personally, I say let folks do what they do. For better or for worse, your aikido has no effect on my aikido - and the vice versa is true as well. It is an institutional mind game, and an internal weakness that opens us up to it, that convinces us otherwise. If it did, then I did not have an aikido in the first place. From that perspective, for me, there is only my aikido. From that context, the answer to "can aikido be too spiritual" and/or "can aikido be too physical" seems silly. The obvious answer is always, "I can always do more" - in other words, "No."

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.