Thread: Called out.
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #64
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai
Re: Called out.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
yet here is a major western forum where the idea "Aikido is what you want it to be" is considered a "valid view". It supports the dilution process
Mike, I think you need to post less and listen more, or alternatively, take the colored glasses off. You mistake the capacity of the individual to derive multiple benefits from a single, albeit complex, activity. I suppose Aikido is what you want it to be (martial training, spiritual development, fitness), but from that standpoint, so is drinking a beer, so what's the point; it's rather silly to go about stamping your feet about it.

The variety of threads represent the differing emphasis individuals have at different points in their training. Over the past 6 years on the forum, I have also seen the same individuals change their emphasis, which is likely to be representative of their development in the art, a much more tenable hypothesis than the dilution of the entire 80-year-old art (give or take a few years) during little more than half a decade.

And you have my permission to quote me in your book. Go ahead, I know you want to...

Avery