View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Colbs
Re: Wrist Strapping for training...

Alvin,

for a person with a normal range of motion, indeed flexibility is a good thing, my case is extream however. For example, my physio said a normal person will be able to get ~10-20 degrees past a certain point, a flexible one ~30-40 degrees (put most aikidoka here), he could get my wrist nearly ~90. Essentially what happens is that because my joints are also hyperflexible there is little resistance through the range of motion, my wrist will very easily go from normal rotation to extream hyperextension in a very, very short period of time. The more flexible it gets, the easier to hyperextend it gets.

With most people gaining joint flexibility is not a problem, because they're inflexible enough that the added flexibility causes no problems. For me I'm already more flexible than most people, too flexible through the joint for my own good. While others need to improve their flexibility to get to the ~30-40 degree mark, I need to reduce mine.

You're absolutely right about it being possible for me to be my own worst enemy, with me you have to move my wrist through WAY more range of motion before it comes on, making it harder for an inexperienced person to put the lock on, however, when it does come on it comes on really fast, and really, really hard - my wrist is being hyperextended way more than a normal lock extends a joint. I could keep resisting and trying to stuff nage up, but if I did I WILL screw up my wrists. I have to do the opposite and be very forgiving with resistance to certain techniques.