Thread: rokyo/rokkyo
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2001, 04:32 PM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Kansetsu, as far as I know is to do with breaking. Anyone can break. What I think of aiki is ... say this maybe... ikkyo ni,san,yon,go, shiho, tenchi, irimi, kaiten, kote. No breaking.
All I can say is that Kansetsu-waza are part and parcel of every style of Aikido. I have always been told it refers to joint techniques although in the Aikidofaq dictionary it is referred to as dislocation technique. How you apply the technique is up to you. I have been taught rokkyo as a controlling technique, how is it less Aikido than for example shihonage which I can also use to destroy an elbow. Every single technique in Aikido can be used to destroy or control - it is all in the intent.
Quote:
I understand what you say about Tenshinyo and Daito, but they aren't aiki, are they?
Aiki is an ancient term. I don't know about tenshinyo but it was used in Daito-ryu and several other schools long before Aikido.
Quote:
Aikido IS an esoteric art, isn't it?
Most Japanese arts have an esoteric element but as I said Ueshiba did not discard techniques based on any esoteric principle - it is all in the intent - how those techniques are used.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido