View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti
Casualty of nikyo

Sensei is out of town these days. Yesterday, two black belts were filling in for him. We were only two students to show up for class, so each black belt took one under his wings.
My instructor is not much bigger than me, but very strong. We were working on nikyo. He was firmly holding my left hand against his shoulder with one hand and was manipulating it with his other hand, talking and explaining something to me. I was already almost kneeling, but the pain was bearable, and I was listening to his explanations. Suddenly, he pressed his thumb on the back of my hand, like you do in a kotegaeshi. He was talking, I was listening, and, suddenly, we both heard: KAP!
Of course, he let go immediately. I was in pain, but not too much. He quickly showed me that he was sorry, and I quickly showed him that I was alright. The class ended soon after that, and, when I made it home, the back of my hand was swelling. I could no longer make a fist, and I noticed that it was my index and middle fingers that could not curl. The other fingers are ok. I can also bend them all backward with no problem. The pain had also intensified. So I applied Ben Gay and slept with an old sock over my hand. This morning, the swelling is less localized, but it has spread over the back of my hand. The pain is also less severe. I can curl my index and middle fingers farther, but I do not want to force them.
The thing is, I really hate going to the doctor, although this is what I always advise everybody to do at the slightest problem. My hand is feeling better, anyway, I can type with just a little pain, and I use my hand with caution.
Any advice on how to speed my recovery? As I see it, there will be no katame waza for my left hand and no push ups for me for a while.
I have small and weak arms and hands, and I really need to exercise them.
Thanks in advance to you all.