Thread: Irimi nage
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Irimi nage

hmmm..."Once the nage and uke are facing the same direction the nage uses the left hand to control the uke's neck a pull it into the extended upper arm for control."
General comments, not directly in response to the quote from the entry, followed by a direct response...This is a good write up of one way to teach/do it...but....
I was initially taught it this way. It also often featured having to take uke almost to the ground in order to elicit a standing up reaction...the focus on setting out to do something to uke/making uke do things never struck me as in keeping w/ the principles of aikido.
I was very happy to learn alternate ways, including sometimes if the attack permitted it, simply being where uke's head fell into my shoulder and I could cradle the head in such a way that we were joined and when I moved, uke moved...with no grabbing and pulling of the neck to piss him off and make him resist.
As I say, doesn't work all the time - nothing in aikido does - but I kinda think its an injustice in a wiki to offer a step by step procedure w/o qualifying by providing the exact school/style to which the entry refers.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield