View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: revelation "vs" intuited aiki

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle between what Mark and Jonathon are saying.

I think it's obvious that certain people HAVE learned *some aspects* of these skills by themselves. I can throw up a couple Youtube videos of people who, IMO, display low-level or proto-internal skill. I have also met a couple aikido-ka that displayed, IMO, a "relaxed solidness" that I now think indicates low-level or proto-internal skill.

But notice I said "some aspects"/ "low-level"/ "proto-skill". I don't believe those people are ever going to get much farther without a qualified instructor.

For one thing, I believe those people train rather inefficiently, as far as internal skill goes. Take those aikido-ka---the people I've met have enough skill that you take notice, but beyond that they're nothing special. And they've been at it for 15-20 years. I've been practicing overt internal exercises for 1.5 years, and I'll probably pass them up in another 6-12 months.

And the time issue is a big one. Even when you're on the "fast track", it still takes several years to condition the body before you can start attempting the more "mysterious" and "amazing" things.

Beyond that, there's some stuff that's almost unimaginable unless you have someone who can actually show you that, yes, it's possible. Maybe if you did a lot of experimentation you might stumble onto some of it---because obviously, someone at some time did stumble onto it, and then passed the knowledge on---but most people don't realize that there's anything beyond what they're already doing, so they don't even try.

Last edited by Timothy WK : 08-19-2008 at 03:16 PM.

--Timothy Kleinert