View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Traditional Aikido? Iwama Aikido?

The term 'Traditional' is often attached to something in order to underline an untangible sense of quality.. like 'Classic'. The opposite positive word could be 'innovative'. The point is that words dosen't matter and that what little meaning one can gain from those terms will not be relevant until you have trained for a while and have some experience to reflect the terms against.

In the end it dosen't matter what people call the style type of Aikido they do. If you like it - train with them... Some will claim that keeping close to what doshu does in hombu dojo is the best way - others will encourage you to look in other directions.

I just came back from 2 weeks in Japan training quite a bit in what I can best describe as 'traditional hombu style' and I learned a lot to put perspective on my training here where I live which is primarily influenced by Nishio. The fact is that I have - over the years - seen a multiplude of different ways to do Aikido, and that I am currently taking the first step towards creating my own personal version based on what I have experienced and how my particular body function.

So... don't think so much about the terms. Get out there on the mat and do some training. In the end it will either create new meaning or you will learn to enjoy the lack of the same

Good luck

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration