View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
One can have his personal style up to a certain point (no need for another name though), but if you stray to much, it is not aikido anymore.
Who is to say how much deviation is allowed within a 'style' before it is no longer Aikido?
In all honesty there are Aikido styles that are more modern than others. Modern in a technical sense, but also more importantly in an operational sense. But this goes off topic...
I have never actually practised Ki-aikido or knowingly worked with someone that did. I did watch several vids, but was not too impressed. All too often the pushing head-while-stting-on-the-floor, you-cannot-lift-from-the-floor and unbendable arm are shown. That is just mechanics, plain and simple. We spent 5 minutes a year on this because there is always someone new who asks. Old movies of Tohei just show Aikido as O Sensei taught him.

Again, it is not better, nor worse, just different training methods.
Funny thing is that at my old dojo two students left and went to practise Ki-Aikido because the current style was too hard...this was Suganuma style Aikido. Just plain traditional Aikikai...
...eye of the beholder thing I guess...

I am afraid the Ki-Aikido society tries to stand out so much they get a lot of interest from other 'styles' what the fuss is about. Under close scrutiny nothing special is shown, so the society gets burned. Hate? no, not hate.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl