View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #99
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Poor old academics....... (RSA video: Ken Robinson)

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Matthew.
I would like to end off here on this thread, which has been quite informative, with my personal summary or conclusion.

It appears we agree that basically things need improving.

I see on the whole there are two schools of thought. One which includes you and one which includes me yet with the same goal of a great education sydtem.

1) One school of thought is that the system, the model itself is based of false premises and being built like an industrial production line is unworkable. Basically that the whole system needs replacing. We could call this the school of thought of changing from the outside.

2) The other school of thought, which I believe you adhere to, is that the basic model and structure is fine and that any changes for the better is done from the inside.

It's been interesting none the less.

Peace.G.
Thanks, Graham, I've enjoyed it as well. It's important for me to get outside input because it helps me refine my views and look at things anew.
I believe change has to take place from both the outside and the inside. No I don't think the whole system needs changing, but a massive overhaul could also be a good thing if done right. I try not to put too many limits on it. My view tends to come down to one thing: community support. Without it, only the rarest of schools will excel...under even basically adequate conditions. It is the parents/guardians/mentors who get their kids to study; to value this or that aspect of their education, if at all. So while I tend to point out the positive changes of the system itself (partly due to what I view as a lop-sided flow of criticism), I don't believe progress can ever come about entirely from within. I believe that's how the older versions of the system were so good at stamping out (somewhat accidentally) individualism and a healthy love of learning in so many people...by thinking only of what is easiest for them in their day-to-day tasks (hence the compartmentalized regimentation of everything).
At any rate, thanks for the topic!
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!