Thread: Moving Gi
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2002, 08:24 AM   #16
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Rashes and fashion

As a student of practicality and not of fashion statements, I would say that the standard cotton-tie pants-strings on the gi are what you should be wearing for hard practice. It looks nice to have a Judo gi on, but overall they need a lot of tucking and adjusting for normal practice to maintain their clean fashionable look.

Somewhere around forty, my butt stopped holding up my pants up as it got flatter, and my belly got bigger ... which in turn makes it damn difficult to hold a training gi in proper attire if you don't tie it with some foresight.

With most tie pants you have the option of tieing your gi top though the strings of your pants to hold up your pants up and thereby have and interacting support system that is independent of tieing your belt tighter ... which if you were to jump on my belly, yeah I have muscles that strong, you would see why when I breath my belt gets expanded and contracted into loosening during exercises, but it doesn't matter because if the belt holds the uniform in place or not.

There are a number of fabric softners to soften the fabric of your top, but many times the water in particular areas needs to be treated to allow the detergents to work properly. Kind of, MOM's knowledge from local people who would give you a clue as to the detergents that soften the best.

I have always wanted to put ties on my judo gi, but somehow I always buy two new white gi's with tie pants and tops to replace the old ones before that happens.

As for the T-shirt thing? If it works and keeps your mind off chaffing ... go with it.

Politically correct loses to medical correctness everytime.

Don't forget to check out what type of detergents affect you, as I know two of my kids are sensitive to certain types of laundry soaps ... rashes and the like.

The criteria for social politeness is not always the same, talking about the t-shirt thing and women. Many times someone with a hairy chest is asked to please wear a t-shirt as not to affect training with women in class, at least in my experience in large groups and in my area of the world.

But consider a full cotton tie gi? It might not be stylish, but that shouldn't be why you go to train.