View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #38
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Tales of Judo Sparring Aikidoists

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
And Larry, the art and how it is trained and practiced has a whole lot to do with it.
I agree that HOW the art is trained is immensely important. This does not mean that because "Insert Art Here" generally trains a particular way, that a particular individual training in that art may not enhance his own personal training outside of the dojo to meet certain objectives. As a result this person becomes an anomaly within the style or art he trains because he has sought to improve his training in other ways that is not typical to his dojo's training regimen. I have met Aikikai folks who do this and their technique as a result is a lot stronger and works better against resistance than an identically ranked person that may train in that same individual's dojo.

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Under what circumstances do you see a Judoka fighting a Aikidoka's fight and the Aikidoka winning? I mean sure if the Aikidoka keeps a distance by running away the Judoka will never get to throw him but I don't see how that is a win for the Aikidoka.
To ask this question tells me you don't understand much about the application of Aikido's tactical elements in actual fighting (not saying that I do either, I only know what works for me.)

The instance I outlined above with the Ikkyu is an example of that - the Judoka lost the engagement when he decided to shoot for the arm and dedicate his weight and balance in a particular direction without seeing the set up for the following technique. I knew that if he got a hold on me the fight would go to ne waza. As such the best option was to get him at the point of the initial attack - deception with a bit of go no sen timing and a strong kuzushi did it. If he had pulled back when he saw me move, the dynamic would have changed and my next move would have been to restore maai that was preferential to me - issoku itto. At that distance I am in control, he has to come in to get control of me using Judo.

Had I been in his shoes using Judo, knowing that my opponent did Aikido, I would have released the arm and gone for a knee takedown before the initial kuzushi had taken full effect. But like I indicated before, setup, timing and kuzushi did not give him much of a choice. Another Judoka may have fared differently.

Going back to your "training methods" concept - how many Judoka do you know who train regularly to deal with and counter Atemi and Tekubi waza?

Interesting discussion folks.

LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 07-10-2004 at 10:26 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca