Thread: Gestalt
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 01:28 PM   #17
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Quote:
Shaun Ravens (Misogi-no-Gyo) wrote:
As aikidoka, we can better control a purely physical confrontation if we hold the strings tied to each of these. Our path is uncovering them within ourselves, first, then figuring out how to connect to them within another, followed by searching for other levels of interrelatedness that can be discerned, deciphered, and applied.
Shaun, this is a good point. It illustrates the recurring theme of aiki: walking a mile in your partner's/uke's shoes. It's why you have to be an equally good uke and nage in class, to learn your side of the coin first before you learn someone else's. O'Sensei's "True victory is..." statement also reflects training with yourself to start learning about others.

Ian has a good point too, but I think it's moot. Why isn't the equation a limitless number of factors? Are we subject to the fallacies of stereotyping and generalizing if we only include some traits and descriptors?

I say "moot" just because of my viewpoint, that's all. I believe if you worry about this in a 'situation', you will immediately constipate ki (and possibly get hurt). The situation is a multiplier, but I think it's also the outcome (the 'aftermath'), as in:
(trait1 + trait2 + ... ) * situation = situation

I prefer to strip the traits/emotions/perceptions off and just have situation = situation and go from there. I'm neither smart nor skilled enough for the other things yet.

*Phil

Last edited by PhilJ : 05-24-2003 at 01:30 PM.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com