View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:08 AM   #223
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Books on Ki by Carol Shifflet

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Actually I would not equate effective cutting with a sword with Ki extensions.
I forge swords I have been cutting with them -and chopping cordwood for that matter- for decades. I cut trees with my katana, up to 3," on a regular basis, I also train spear and bojutsu with steel earth digging bars. Yet I do not believe in Ki nor have I used "ki extension" to cut anything. Proof being in the pudding -how does it relate to the many other men who cut competitively? Some of whom I know who do not believe in an ki theory either.
I'm not sure what the point is. If you get a bunch of weight-lifters together and have a contest and then ask them what they know about Ki and whether they think it will help their weight-lifting, they'll all reply in the negative. Yet they'll all point to how much weight they can lift, how much they lift daily, etc. No one has said that unless you have ki you can't do such-and-such, Dan.

Quote:
It is my belief that internal work (albeit crude or low level) is the "why" behind the age old boxing question of why some men are devestating knock-out punchers and others not so much. But they all remain good boxers. I do not believe it has been truly addressed by boxers or trainers, nor can they accurately say why one can hit so hard when others cannot. I think the answer lies in the boxer's own internal compass. The moment of when he may connect and transfer power or when others use all muscle to do the same.
OK, so now we're back to a definable topic again. What do you think are the actual body mechanics.... the physics, if you will... of a good puncher using ki or his "internal compass", etc., as opposed to someone else who also hits well?

Regards,

Mike